A midwife provides counseling, care and support to women and newborn during and after pregnancy, labor pains and early delivery. She helps women make decisions about various health services by keeping them under their care during pregnancy and provides advice on health and child care.
A midwife is personally responsible for the health of both the mother and the child and advises to see a gynecologist if medical complications occur during pregnancy or birth. A midwife provides services at hospitals and community health centers.
A midwife at a glance
Category: Health & Medical
Types of Institutions: Government, Private Departments, Hospitals and Health Centers, Private Practice
Career type: Part-time, full time
Level: Entry, Mid
Possible Salary Range: 617,000-36,000 – Depending on the job, organization and experience
Possible age limit: workable
Key Skills: Obstetrics
Special Skills: Ability to work in any situation
Learn the details
– What kind of industry does a midwife work in?
– What kind of work does a midwife do?
– What kind of skills and knowledge does a midwife need to have?
– Where do you study midwifery?
– What are the job fields and opportunities for a midwife?
– What is the monthly income of a midwife?
– What can be the career of a midwife?
In what kind of industry does a midwife work?
- Community clinic;
- Department of Services;
- Ministry of Health and Services.
What kind of work does a midwife do?
- To complete the examination of women during pregnancy;
- Preventing disease, preparing the mother for normal delivery and arranging medical services by diagnosing complications of mother and child;
- Create and evaluate care programs for pregnant women;
- Providing full maternity care to pregnant women in the hospital and at home, including screening tests;
- Identify high-risk pregnancies and communicate with doctors and other medical professionals;
- Health awareness raising and counseling;
- Counseling before and after screening and tests;
- Provide full psychological and professional support in cases related to abortion, neonatal abnormalities and neonatal death;
- Maternal supervision and support, monitoring fetal condition and applying knowledge of medication and pain management;
- Provide support and advice for the baby’s daily care such as breastfeeding, bathing, food preparation, etc .;
- Participate in the training and supervision of junior colleagues.
What kind of skills and knowledge does a midwife need to have?
- Diploma in Midwifery Course;
- Knowledge of childbirth;
- Knowledge of pregnancy;
- Skills in maternal care during and after childbirth;
- Pay special attention to cleanliness;
- Collaborative attitude;
- The ability to work cold head in an emergency;
- Communication skills.
Where to study midwifery?
- Government Nursing College;
- Nursing Institute;
- Midwifery Institute.
The Government of Bangladesh has introduced Diploma and Bachelor in Midwifery courses in 31 Government Nursing Colleges and Nursing Institutes in different districts. You can join this profession by doing 3 year diploma course from these institutes. There are also opportunities to improve skills in the workplace through higher education and training. There is a lot of potential in this profession outside the country.
What are the job opportunities and opportunities for a midwife?
A midwife can work in various government hospitals and health care centers. Moreover, a lot of staff is being recruited in this profession in the government department. The demand for trained workers in this profession is constantly increasing due to various measures taken by the government to ensure healthcare.
What is the monthly income of a midwife?
Non-cadre posts in government departments are filled in this profession. According to the national salary scale, the salary in this profession can start from Rs 18,000 to Rs 3640, there are other benefits as well.
What can be the career of a midwife?
The Government of Bangladesh is recruiting a large number of trained midwives in order to strengthen maternal health services and reduce maternal mortality. If you have the necessary formal education and training, you too can build a good career by joining this great profession. In addition to a good salary in the public sector in this profession, there are various opportunities. In addition, there are good opportunities for higher education and training at home and abroad, through which you can better contribute to the profession by increasing efficiency. So as a skilled midwife, you can build a career in this profession to play an active role in the service of mother and child.